Self-acceptance is a person’s happiness with ones self. This can be good for your mental health. Self-acceptance involves self understanding and a realistic awareness of your strengths and weaknesses. Learning to accept yourself is necessary because when you don’t it can affect many aspects of your life. Not only will it affect the way you treat yourself, but also the way others will treat you. It will also affect you mentally and can cause you to have depression or anxiety. Trust me I know what it is like to not accept yourself and for it to cause problems with your mental health.
I struggle every day to accept and love myself. I am constantly criticizing myself for things I did or didn’t do. I struggle with my appearance. I always wonder what I should be doing to improve them. Then I am laying in bed and night wondering why I am not strong enough to follow through. It’s a vicious cycle. There are some pretty simple things you can do to help with your self acceptance. It’s things that I have done in my life and if
I can do them so can you.
1. Journal every day. I do this by blogging. I may not have hundreds of thousands of followers but if I have managed to help even one person by posting. Then I will still continue to write. This is my story, ❤
2. Remove toxic people from your life. Over the years I’ve had many friends come and go. I have learned within the past year or so who my true friends are and who the ones who were in my life to cause me problems. I cherish those true friendships.
3. Follow your heart. I am pretty good at ignoring my brain and following my heart. This has caused me problems in the past but I am thankful for those mistakes and learning from them.
4. Forgive yourself. You have to forgive yourself for the mistakes that you have made in the past. Learn from them and leave them in the past. You keep walking forward and don’t worry about those past mistakes.
5. Show love and kindness to others. Not everyone you meet will like you or get along with. Even if they aren’t your biggest fan you can still be kind to everyone you meet. Its not hard to smile at someone or hold the door open at the store. It doesn’t cost anything to be a good person.
“Life is too short to spend it at war with yourself.”
Everyday I look at myself in the mirror and hate the way I look. I am my biggest critic. I judge myself from head to toe. I stare at the bags under my eyes. I look at my stretch marks and my chunky belly, the cellulite on my thighs or even the 3 little hairs I shave off of my big toe. Why though? God made me this way. Sure I haven’t taken care of myself the way I should but I have also grown two little humans inside of me. So why am I so hard on myself?
I am hard on myself because I see people in public or on the internet who are fit and healthy and then there is me. There are all these fad diets and nothing has worked for me. I am so hard on myself because I give up too easily. If I don’t see the results that I want when I should have them then I quit. Do I like who I am? Do I like the person I have become over the years? That is a difficult question. I have made my fair share of mistakes over the years. But I do consider myself a good person. Do I wish I could go back to say high school and do things differently? Absolutely but without time travel that’s not going to happen. So I work on myself every single day to be a better version of who I am. I was always told that no one would love me until I learned to love myself. Until I met Dalton I believed that to be true. Once I felt the love Dalton had for me it rubbed off on me and I learned to love myself a little more than I had before.
“Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you learned it.”
We all need to learn to love ourselves and accept ourselves. Of course we can always improve ourselves and we will have times where we fall. Learning to be kind to yourself is important. Treat yourself the way you would want someone else to treat you. We are all our own biggest critics and our own worst enemy. We all have flaws so embrace them no matter what.
Stay positive. If you surround yourself around negative people it will rub off on you. You will become a negative person. Surround yourself with positive people and happy things. Work on being positive every single day. Find the positive even in a negative situation.
Forgive others, forgive yourself. Holding onto grudges will only make you bitter. It’s best to forgive someone who may have offended you. You would want someone to forgive you. Learning to forgive yourself is difficult. We have to learn to let go of those mistakes and move forward.
You are going to do great things in your life. Will you fail? Yes failing is a part of life but we are able to pick ourselves up and begin again. No matter what NEVER GIVE UP. Keep pushing forward and working on being who you want to be!
“Just be yourself. Let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful, magical person that you are.”- Mandy Hale